Water monitoring gives students and teachers the opportunity to have a positive interaction with the environment, experience how water quality studies are designed and implemented, and enhance their scientific abilities and data collection techniques. Each of these skills can transcend water quality activities and be applied to any scientific endeavor.
Learn more about MTWC Volunteer Monitoring Program.
Learn more about World Water Monitoring Day.
Teaching to Standards
Natural extensions from water monitoring include graphing, making inferences, writing reports and making presentations on findings. Montana Science Content and water monitoring connections are available here.
About the Montana Water Monitoring Coalition
In 1996 educators from across the state joined with Montana Watercourse and its partners to form the Montana Water Monitoring Coalition. The Montana Water Monitoring Coalition is a network of teachers and citizens devoted to engaging Montana students and teachers in science learning through the study of stream ecology and monitoring. The Coalition stresses that the intent of educators and students involved in the collection of water data is to further awareness, knowledge, skills, and participation in Montana’s aquatic environments.
- -Provide a network by which stream ecology information can be shared across the state
- -Coordinate a standard set of monitoring parameters and techniques
- -Provide training and equipment for educational water monitoring programs state-wide
- -Enhance the learning of science and promote science careers
- -Connect a broad base of water-user interests and their viewpoints into water monitoring programs
- -Field monitoring trainings
- -On-line data management
- -Participant retreat and workshops
- -Watershed tours
- -Opportunities to connect students with natural resource management careers
Partners, Programs and Coalition Members
In addition to our partners detailed below, Montana Watercourse also partners with the Bitterroot River Network, Gallatin Monitors and Project Freeflow to accomplish our monitoring goals.